WE PROVIDE A RANGE of Xero online training courses, suited for all skills levels from beginners’ to experienced Xero users.
Xero has become one of Australia’s most popular and most used accounting software programs, particularly by small to medium businesses.
Below, you can read more about what our Xero online training courses cover in detail.
Everything is included with Learn Express
The cheapest way to get access to everything is with Learn Express. It’s a membership which gives you all the skill levels in a video tutorial format.
Everything you see on this page is included for the low subscription price: Beginners to Advanced Xero Training.
Learn more about Learn Express.
And remember: when you sign up for one-to-one training, either remotely, or face to face, you will receive, as an added bonus, FREE access to ONE of the following courses.
1. Xero Setup Course
Our Xero Setup Course is an online training course, taught through videos and a workbook, using real business scenarios, that will equip you with the knowledge to become a bookkeeper; helping you understand the most important aspects of bookkeeping, as well as the financial and accounting aspects of what small business owners need to manage, including:
- Charts of Accounts
- Tax Codes
- Cash vs Accrual Accounting Methods
- An introduction to Credit Control
Following this, you’ll learn how to use the software in the actual management of a business, including:
- Introduction to navigating the Xero Accounting Software
- How to access and use the Free Software Trial
- Setting up the Organisational Settings
- Financial Settings
- Invoice Settings and Users
- Chart of Accounts
- Account Balances
- Default Invoice Settings and Email Settings
- The Dashboard Watch List and How to Add a New Contact
- Adding Multiple Bank/Credit Card Accounts
- Adding PayPal Accounts to Receive Credit Card Payments
- How to Manage Bank Accounts from the Dashboard
2. Xero Daily Transactions Course (Beginners’ Certificate)
In our Xero Daily Transactions Course you’ll discover the different dashboards for various parts of the Xero software. You will learn your way around the main screen dashboard, as well as your Sales and Purchases Dashboards.
- how to send or issue invoices to one customer or many customers at the one time, to save a repeating invoice and much much more
- how to work with credit notes: these could not be simpler when using Xero; you won’t get confused with them and they take seconds to generate, just like a sales invoice
- how to manage payables which happens at the purchase dashboard. Schedule payments, create bulk payments and ABA files, send suppliers a remittance, as well as process employee expense claims
Our Xero Daily Transactions Course also includes training on:
- Entering Sales Invoices and Receiving Customer Payments
- Entering Supplier Invoices and Entering Supplier Payments
- Transferring Money Between Accounts
- Adding New Contacts
- Edit existing Contacts and Coping with Duplicate Contacts
- Navigating the Sales Dashboard
- Entering Credit Note and Allocating them to Invoices
- Emailing or Printing Invoices
- Entering a New Purchase Order
- Sending a Purchase Order
- Deleting Invoices
- Voiding Invoices, Voiding Invoices when payments are applied
- Internal Bank Transfers
- Handling Overpayments
- Processing Contra Deals
- Creating a Quote in Xero
- introduction to Reports
- Balance Sheet (Assets and Liabilities)
- Profit and Loss (Income and Expenses)
- Reporting for Fixed Assets
3. Xero Journal Entries & Bank Reconciliation Course (Beginners’ Certificate)
In our Xero Journal Entries and Bank Reconciliation Course, we explore a bank statement and enter data for that period as well as the direct debit transactions that aren’t entered as part of the Daily Transactions. We take a look at ad hoc payments for director wages, as well as a capital purchase of a vehicle and depreciation of that vehicle.
We also go through alternatives like leasing or a secondhand car purchase under $20,000. You’ll perform a bank reconciliation that doesn’t balance, and then go through the entries to sort out the issues and miss-typing that tends to happen in almost every business.
- Entering and coding direct debits
- Interest payments and charges
- Coding capital purchases
- Understanding depreciation
- International credit card payments and charges
- Basic Payroll entries for micro businesses
- Loans to and from the company
- Experience a bank rec which doesn’t balance
- Rectify entries to complete the bank reconciliation process
4. Xero GST, Reporting & BAS Course (Advanced Certificate)
In the Xero GST, Reporting and BAS Course, learn about the transactions that can make GST and BAS reporting tricky; including purchases which are GST-free, those which have partial GST, or international payments. Also learn about transactions with varying GST percentages and how you can use a spreadsheet to calculate your PAYG & Super obligations and then just code them into your Xero software.
The following topics are included in this course:
- GST treatment for capital purchases (a vehicle)
- How different costs of running a vehicle are treated
- When FBT applies to expenses like entertainment
- Introduction to Payroll & how wages are treated in the BAS
- Financial settings with regard to the GST registration (Cash vs Accrual and quarterly vs monthly)
- Run a BAS report, which is combined with our specially-designed “Ad Hoc Payroll” Excel spreadsheet case study calculations in order to work out the final liability
- See the financial results of the business owners ‘change of strategy’ and focus
- See what these results look like at the end of the quarter, as well as month-by-month comparisons of Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet reports
- How the business owner can use the information in the reports to change the direction of the business
- Configure software to obtain even better reports at the end of the next quarterly reporting period
5. Xero Payroll Course (Advanced Certificate)
The videos below are included in our Xero Payroll Course and will aid and assist you to correctly set up your payroll users and settings so that you can start adding employees and processing pay runs. We show you how to set up your linked accounts, take you for a look at the individual pay and line items, and how to add a new (or various) payroll calendars.
This Xero Payroll Course includes:
- Setting our user permissions
- Linked Account Set Up
- Payslips Set Up
- Pay Items Set Up
- Calendar, Payroll Settings and Superannuation Set Up
- Employee Details
- Tax Declarations
- Bank Accounts, Pay Templates
6. Xero Cashflow, Budgets, Forecasts & Strategy Course (Advanced Certificate)
Our Xero Cashflow, Budgets, Forecasts and Strategy Course features an ongoing case study, involving real-life scenarios to make learning fun and relevant. In this case study, you’ll join the journey of a business owner, perhaps just like you, experiencing a major change in the services they are providing.
In terms of using the software, you will learn to:
- Import the bank transactions
- Manage the many and varied transactions
- Purchase a commercial building
- Account for a commercial building loan
- Explore the typical ‘overspending’ that some entrepreneurs experience and how to deal with this
- Understand how asset purchases affect cashflow
- Learn about the financing, operational and investment aspects of a cashflow statement
- Learn alternative strategies regarding asset purchases credit-risk management
- Create Credit Management reports, Aged Receivables & how to get money into the bank account quicker
- Use accounting software to improve marketing and operational management by budgeting and understanding Return On Investment (ROI)
Our Xero Course “Package Offers”
You can also enrol in our Xero online training courses as a package option. Find out more about the packages we have available
The benefits of combining one-to-one training with the structure of an online training course
I’ve been a Bookkeeper for more than 20 years and find more and more business owners are asking for training because today’s bookkeeping tasks aren’t quite as easy as the software companies make out. Learning how to use bookkeeping software one-to-one combined with an online course is a great way to learn because, as a trainer, I cover all the topics my clients need in a logical order which follows the flow of the course and which will also help them in their daily operations, but clients can also learn what they need to specific to their own situation.”
— Tracey O’Neill, Registered BAS Agent and Bookkeeper, QuickBooks Pro Advisor
Xero is great for business bookkeeping because it saves you time, money, travel and hassle compared to desktop accounting software, However, not using Xero correctly can start with small niggling inconsistencies and soon build up into a large, complicated and overwhelming accounting mess! This, in turn, can result in time-consuming “undoing” of work and then spending precious time performing catch up or rescue work.
Many of our clients who are just starting out in business, or having problems with Xero, have benefited from our one-to-one and private face-to-face training and tuition options
These are some common issues:
- Xero Payroll: Meeting the correct awards, hourly rates of pay, leave accrual and superannuation calculations & payment (payroll)
- Xero bankfeed issues and errors — missing entries, duplicate entries, missing transactions. All these need to be sorted out before your bank account and software can be reconciled (end of month)
- Problems with credit management, managing quotes, invoicing and bills (daily transactions)
- Incorrect setup at the very beginning — small issues soon become a lot more complicated (setup)
Xero is intuitive and relatively easy to use, but if you are experiencing problems with Xero you’re not alone!
As a business startup or established business owner, there are better things for you to be spending your time on than setting up your accounts through trial and error — particularly when you’re relying on your accounting and financial reports to determine how well you’re going and where you need to focus your own time and energy.
Sign Up for One-to-One Training